Saturday 24 July 2021

And so it begins .....

 Welcome to the next new adventure.

Having realised that I pretty much hadn't touched Dalton Housee in three years I knew it was more than time to let it go.  This had been my sixth build and I feel that I have tackled all the 'stories' I want to do and have learned all the skills needed so I don't have any great urge to make another house.  Off it went, after cannibalising it, to its new owner along with the trolley.  This freed up a ton of space and removed the guilt of seeing it each day not quite finished..



If you look carefully you can see how much got wrecked removing lights and a couple of fireplaces

This left me with a workroom still filled with 'stuff'. I don't have the wherewithal to start getting ride of it, either by throwing away or selling.  Even giving away becomes a pain when you have a gazillion tiny things to wrap and package and post to folk hither and yon.  So for now I will keep it all.  This led to my wondering how I could display some of my really nice pieces.  I came up with lots of ideas for little wall boxes and shelves that I may return to further down the line but I then hit on buying an Ikea Billy bookcase with half glass doors. 

I chose six rooms to put in there







They were taken out of Dalton House and set up roughly in Billy.  This is when I realised I would want to light them and to add flooring and walls etc and so room boxes are now in gestation.




I had chosen the 30 cm deep Billy rather than the 40 cm because after getting rid of Dalton I wanted to keep the space that had created.  If you ever do consider going down this route here's a couple of pointers... 
    the forty will give you a decent room size to work with
    might be nice to have full glass doors for lots of display

That said mine is what I want even with the reduced room size (ten by fifteen inches) and only half the display area (has great shelving space below for storing other furniture etc) because I just want a little memento of a great hobby..... an epilogue to my time with it all.

I hope you keep travelling along with me as I start a sort of new kind of mini making.







10 comments:

  1. This post gives me food for thought. I too am not inclined to build dollhouses, but want to display and store my mini treasures safely. This Billy bookcase is perfect! Thanks for sharing your solution.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. How nice to have helped someone a little straight away. Thank you so much for taking time to leave a message. I think the full glass doors with tons of minis behind will look lovely. There are even clever ways of lighting your shelves these days with the tiny led strips… hope you have a load of fun sorting them into pleasing displays.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Marilyn! It is lovely to see you back and starting on a new and exciting project! I love how you have solved the issue, and can't think of a better way to keep the things you love and let the rest move on! Those decisions are coming for all of us!
    The cabinet is beautiful! The width and depth seem perfect to be able to enjoy a lovely vignette and yet not be overwhelmed.
    I hope you find the perfect person to be able to pass the unwanted things to - it would be such a relief to see them go in one lump sum to someone willing to pack and pick it all up themselves.
    In the mean time, enjoy recreating these lovely rooms! What a marvelous opportunity to edit and add all the things you didn't get to the first time! It's nice knowing Dalton House will live on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jodi, How nice to be able to chat to you again. I have got very lazy and not followed people as I should as my enthusiasm for 'doing' has waned. I hope to get back in the rhythm again and will be keen to catch up with your work and have the occasional idea swap. As always you have totally understood where I am right now. A very nice lady took Dalton so I am content to think it will go on giving pleasure for a while yet. I just advertised it for free on a facebook group rather than bother selling on eBay.

      Delete
  4. Hi Marilyn! I'm not at all surprised that you've said "fare thee well" to your Dalton House because it's what you've done in the past with each of your previous mini projects. Even so, I totally get it, because once their story is told- it's over.
    I'm having the same difficulties as you, regarding storing/ displaying Big Projects and as a result have let things stagnate indefinitely with my minis. So although saying goodbye is never entirely easy, your Dalton House has found a new owner and you've been able to free up space and display your favourite pieces in a new kind of unit so BRAVO! and I'm looking forward to seeing what you'll do next which I know will be a new adventure! :)

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elizabeth. It took me a good long while to realise I had 'finished' with Dalton House. Towards the end of a project I find things that need doing become a chore rather than a pleasure, then after a while I realise how silly it is to have a hobby which pleases you about as much as washing dishes and I abandon it hoping I will come back some day.... never happens. It is odd I find that getting rid of a build really does give me mental as well as physical breathing space to find another inspiration and something I want to do. so, right now, I am enjoying the new.

      Delete
    2. I totally get it - I feel like that with my embroidery, Marilyn.
      People are always surprised that my home is not full of embroideries, but once a piece is done I am over it and ready to move on.
      Perhaps one day I will be the same with my minis? I am loving making them, but really don't want a house full of small houses :-)

      Delete
  5. Hi Marilyn. I love this solution and the glass fronted cupboard is perfect.
    My first ever 'house' or rooms were made in an IKEA unit. They used to carry a range that were 1m sq and 40cm deep, divided into 6 holes - perfect for a 6 room house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember the exact unit… then they went and tweaked it to different proportions, so annoying. As I said here I think you really do need the 40 cm depth. I am finding mine a bit squinty but I still don't want that extra depth where I have the cupboard so it will serve its purpose as a memento of minis.

      Delete