Saturday 23 October 2021

Dining Room - wiring

 Just a couple of quick pointers and reminders about doing wiring.  As always if you want more detail and videos take a look at these posts in my Dalton House blog.  You can also find some videos using the link you see there. 

Here are a couple of useful tools.  The first I would not be without if I had a a large project or I knew I would be making projects for years, is this handy wire cutter and stripper.  Saved a lot of fingernails and teeth over the years when stripping off the plastic from the copper wires.  I got mine from Small World which is now run by Little Houses Plus.  



The second useful thing here is either a fine knife, like a scalpel, or teeny, sharp,  pointed scissors like these embroidery ones.  I use these to just make the first snip between the encased twin wires which you can then just gently pull apart.  I have had them too many years to know where they came from.



Obviously the first thing is to decide exactly where the lights are going.  I do this by furnishing the room. If you are lucky it may be just a simple centre light and that's it done but, in the case of the dining room that would have set the chandelier of to the back edge of the table.  So I put the table where I wanted it to be and measured carefully from the front edge of the box to the centre of the table and transferred this measurement to the top of the box, centering it also from side to side.

Hoping this isn't a too obvious tip... I dampen a piece of kitchen roll and put below where I am  going to drill the hole.  I catches all the sawdust and being a bit damp stops it flirting about when you remove it and crumple it up.


When you drill the hole you often get a scruffy finish on the painted ceiling - generally this is easily covered by the light fitting and has never bothered me.  I suppose to avoid this you could drill from the ceiling side upwards rather than downwards especially when using a room box as you could turn it upside down easily.  



When you have your fire or light (etc) in place the wires will normally go in a groove to a suitable exit.  With a room box grooves aren't necessary - which is a small joy as they are a pain to do.  I simply taped them down with some masking tape.  I may swap it for sturdier tape I think.   They are being 'aimed' at the centre of the back of the box and a hole will be drilled through the book case at some time to let them pass through.



All the wires on the things I removed from the house are all sorts of lengths depending on the difficulty in removing them so they all need extending to exit the bookcase and travel on to the connector.   

The important thing here is to remember to cut one wire shorter than the other on both the extension wire and the fitting's wire..  



You then join the short extension wire to the long fitting's one and then via versa.  This offsets the exposed wires from each other to ensure they don't make contact.



.... a shrink tube is pushed over them and shrunk with a hairdryer.  Again, go to the link I gave earlier if you want more details of the process.



So, finally, the first room box room is ready to be lived in.  One down and five to go.






7 comments:

  1. Your dining room looks just beautiful. Thanks for the wiring tips, especially using a damp paper towel to catch the sawdust. I always forget to cut the wires different lengths to stagger the joint, thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sherrill, the joke here is the first set of wires I did, after a looooong break from doing them, I cut carefully to match each other…..oops.

      Delete
  2. Great tips and tools, Marilyn! The chandelier looks so elegant and I love the combination of the gold with the white and wallpaper stripe!
    I have to admit that I have always used my teeth to strip wire. It all started when I was a teenager with my speaker wire. I did just recently purchase a pair of strippers from Evan Designs, though, as I found trying to strip the LED red and black wires with that method was near impossible. I guess some folks just melt the plastic away with their soldering iron, but my son in law is borrowing my soldering iron for an extended period. I thought I might try the strippers but haven't had to try them yet.
    Have a great week with the next steps! I can't wait for next Saturday's post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jodi. Yup done the teeth stripper thing for a while - not the most pleasant hobby. If the red and black wire coating on LED is like some I have come across (not LED) it is actually a paint rather than a platic and is a pain to remove. Did my last lot with a very gentle rub with very fine sandpaper. i am away a couple of days this week which will eat into my chances at making mini time. It is already competing with five year old grandson care/visit - very nice but obviously slows progress.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Marilyn. Your room box is lovely, the chandelier looks very grand in there.
    Great tips with the wiring…I’m a thumbnail wire stripper - I wonder if I should invest in something like your tool…? I’m at that stage with my collection “Is it worth buying anymore new tools…?”
    Loving these mini epilogues of yours 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly Kath I spent a couple plus years at the beginning of this game eleven years ago not investing in tools I craved because I wouldn't be doing it much longer and have gone on to spend the last few years doing exactly the same 🤷‍♀️ so I totally understand the reluctance. I was actually given them by a lovely lighting man… Small World Products ……. and have been very grateful ever since. Doing these boxes is a bit odd because I am just making pretty much the whole of Dalton House again. I wasn't brave enough to think I could just strike out and make a set of new boxes. I think this is the right decision though as a memorial to the game. I am enjoying the sense of completion on each box. Again strange because when it was a room all I could see was how many rooms there were left to do, somehow I don't feel that with the boxes.

      Delete