Saturday 4 September 2021

Boxes - Flooring

 Hopefully this will be a very short and simple 'how I do floors' post.

I have always used this lovely real wood flooring - used be under a Houseworks label but as you can see here this seems to be just a generic .'made in China'  label.  The floorboards are in perfect scale for many historical periods and the walnut colour is lovely against traditional furniture.


I have always used a B & Q quick dry satin varnish (water clean up) but it seems to have changed its form and the new version gets pretty rubbish reviews so I switched to this one It was cheaper too, so far so good.



Luckily as I have done this for years there was no panic when the whole thing decided to curl up after the first coat.  I usually leave overnight to dry and then weigh down the next day until I am ready for second coating, then repeat.


For finishing a painted or varnished surface you need the absolute finest sanding material you can find.  Here's three of mine - a four hundred sandpaper, a painter or plasterers sponge, nail 'buffer'.  Any one of these will do the job.  I favour the painters/plasterers sponge.



After light sanding and its second coat and flattening process it should have been a simple matter of using double sided sticky tape to put the floor in the box as I have always done with my shops and houses.  Cardboard strikes again.

It proved impossible to remove the protective 'paper' from the tape. Once it was stuck down the cardboard sucked it up and there was no leeway to pick off the top layer to reveal the other glue side.  All that happened time and again was the whole tape came up. glue and all.  Never mind, thinks I, I will try the magic spray glue that I had just bought.  Never made the slightest difference.  I would like to think that it was the waxy backing on the wood flooring that was the problem here but I am seriously concerned about using this glue for the wallpaper as planned  because I couldn't discern a glimmer of tackiness where it went down.

Third and finally, out came good old UHU.  So far so good.




I really wouldn't recommend porous cardboard of any kind for room boxes for sure.  

I am about to investigate what kit we would need to hire to cut thin MDF into perfectly rectangular pieces of wood.  Would gluing them together be enough?  The house kits I have used are usually grooved to take the walls and keep them square to the base etc.  Much trawling the web tonight, methinks

8 comments:

  1. Oh Dear! I am sorry to read the cardboard is proving to be so difficult to work with. I do hope you find a good solution for your boxes - Happy trawling.
    Anna x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I definitely need to change tack I think.

      Delete
  2. I am interested in hearing about your findings on what to use to cut thin MDF to use for walls etc. I found to my cost too that cardboard really is no good. What are your thoughts on using foam board or gator board and best way to cut that too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of people do really well with foamboard but I am afraid it beats me. I gave it a good go but it either didn't make a neat cut…rolled up little bits of its insides or I was concerned with denting it when working with it. As I said others can use it just fine but I quit on it a while ago so I’m not any use to you. Keep you posted on MDF investigations

      Delete
  3. This floor is just beautiful. Love the color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is lovely. Real wood, easy to cut and varnish and lay what's not to love. Also the floorboards are in perfect scale. Have been able to get it in America and over here.

      Delete
  4. Well, back to the drawing board as happens so much to all of us in this hobby. I am wondering if it might not be better to get some very simple room box kits like the ones that Houseworks makes:

    https://www.miniatures.com/Divided-Modular-Room-Box-Kit-P29982.aspx

    Two rooms but can it still fit into the cabinet? Ugh. If only we were neighbors we could have all the pieces cut for you in a jiffy.

    Chin up! The floor is beautiful and you will find the perfect answer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oohh lovely boxes and almost a good fit and great price. That was the first problem I hit…I couldn't just buy the right size off the peg and anything made to order was a really silly price plus they are mostly 9mm MDF which looks clunky on the size box I am doing. I may have it sorted, hang on in there. What a lovely thought having a real life mini chum to trade ideas and stuff with who would also cut wood for me. In my next life ….

      Delete